New Soon Huat Bak Kut Teh

by - Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sorry I have to do this in the middle of the night.
I am very hungry too, BUT I REALLY CANNOT RESIST NOT SHARING THE GOODNESS OF THE BAK KUT TEH,
IFEELLIKEMYSOULISBEINGEATENUPBYGUILTBECAUSEIAMNOTSHARINGTHISOUTWITHANYBODEH, so I just have to, hahahahahaha. Anyway, this could be a good chilling place for tomorrow's dinner, dunch chu tink? ;)

I was invited by Blackbox.sg with infinitesimal thanks to my girlf of 4 years, Zhiying, to this restaurant located near Kovan MRT for a quick food tasting session! I wasn't expecting too much initially because I've always thought Singapore's Bak Kut Teh will never be anywhere better than the one I ate in Johor after the last time I had it during my trip to Cameron Highlands, hahahahaha. And I kind of lost hope in finding dry Bak Kut Teh in Singapore because I've passed by so many restaurants and I just can't seem to find it. BUT, New Soon Huat Bak Kut Teh proved me wrong, hehehehe.

I honestly have to admit, it is real good. Daayummmm.



Natalie and Jasmine!



Clint and John!





Me, Zhiying, Natalie and Jasmine!



They have 2 outlets! I visited the one at Kovan, hehe.

949, Upper Serangoon Road, 534713
Tel: 6284 3717
Open 12pm to 11pm daily

257, Jalan Kayu, 799458
Tel: 6484 3454
Open 11am to 10pm daily


Price Range: S$6 ~ S$10

Check out their Facebook Page: 新順發肉骨茶


We were served with all the food on this menu, and ugh, I wish my stomach had felt better that day just so I could fill it up with more of the braised pork knuckle T_T
Now I'm craving for it soooooo badly, I might actually get depression due to lack of good food, HAHAHAHAHA.
Okeh, okeh. Staph. Sorry for being nonsensical, hahahhahahaha.



Salted Vegetable
I ate quite a bit of this. It's not bad to be honest! Doesn't taste too soggy or oily, goes perfect with the Bak Kut Teh soup, omfg. *slurpppps*



Broccoli with Mushrooms
While John was busy with the second serving, I got carried away with the mushrooms and fried onion. I have honestly never thought that fried onion could actually taste this good?! Because those annoying aunties will always dump a whole dam lot into my porridge, then make my porridge taste horrendously disgusting.... And since then I've hated fried onion. But this plate of awesomeness changed my mind.



Braised Pork Large Intestines
Natalie's favourite!! I'd say it's one of my must-try recommendation if you are someone that's okay with organs. Especially if you like braised sauce!! It isn't too salty, and has slight tinge of spiciness in it. I'll range the spice like maybe level 1.....?
Omg, this is too good okay. You could mix the sauce with the rice if you don't like your rice too soupy.



Braised Pork Knuckle
Wahlao, and this one lagi best. Look at those fats, that skin, those juicy meat..... And the sauce.... Daaaaaayyyyyummm.... Need I say more?! I could totally finish up 3 of those on my own if it wouldn't risk cardiac arrest.... Hahahahahhaa!
But a point to note, eat while it's hot. We spent too much time on photos, and most of the dishes turned cold by the time we are done, :(
Trust me, you wouldn't like it cold as much as you love it hot. Same goes for all the other dishes too!



Ginseng-Dang gui Bak Kut Teh
Like obviously.... Hahahahhaha. I'm sorry my photo doesn't look appealing. Le table haz hands too fast for good shot.... Hahahhaa kidding.
Has this really strong but not overpowering herb taste, with that tinge of ground pepper. What's different about their Bak Kut Teh is that, they actually added golden mushroom, dried beancurd, pig liver and stomach in as well! Unlike your usual Bak Kut Teh with only meat and ... I think it's just meat. :/

And the best part? The soup is refillable! The manager also told me that when you order just the dry Bak Kut Teh, you can request for a separate bowl of the Bak Kut Teh soup for free! Ultra nice of them right?! Now you can say yes to free flow Bak Kut Teh soup, hahahahaha.



Dry Bak Kut Teh
Bak Kut Teh, you've eaten. But have you heard of DRY Bak Kut Teh? Maybe yes, but not so common in Singapore. I first tried it when I was in Johor as mentioned before, and had been craving ever since!



The Dry Bak Kut Teh is cooked by reducing the amount of soup, and then adding dark soya sauce, dried chill, dried cuttlefish and lady finger. A pretty unique combination, but it really brings out a really awesome and special taste for the Bak Kut Teh. Spice level would be 3 for this. Maybe cause I accidentally ate a couple of dried chili, but the spiciness is still acceptable, and the smell of it is a killer. Too good, seriously.

You'll probably think I'm putting in good words just because I was invited to the food tasting, right!!!! But no okeh!! Look at all their happy faces!!!!



They look so satisfied, hahahaha. Poor Clint had a terrible sore throat that day, he couldn't eat much. But well, yi du gong du ah, he kind of got slightly better the next day, hahahahaha!


And a photograph with the crew and the rest! The guy in specs is Chef Caleb!! He's the one cooking all the food and in charge of the kitchen! He cooks such good food Imma ask him to take me in as his disciple. Then I shall eat Bak Kut Teh every day and turn into Bak Kut Teh, hehehehehehehehehehe.

The guy standing right behind me and Clint is Jacob! He is the store supervisor, and the one serving and taking care of us throughout the night! He's a really nice and friendly guy! You will probably see him often at the Kovan outlet.

Oh! And I forgot to mention. New Soon Huat Bak Kut Teh actually started out with a good cause. Most of the people working there are ex-offenders. The store started out to help ex-offenders to get a job knowing how hard it would be for them to live on their second chance. So the store actually hires them, and have them working at the outlets helping out as waiters, chefs and supervisors so that they wouldn't waste their life after getting out from the prison.

Which I feel is a really sweet thing to do lah! Every business has risks. Not everyone is nice enough to be helping out one and other, and especially giving people a second chance. I've met psychos, and I also had friends who went to prison. But they were all wasted when they came out due to this judgemental society. People condemned them the moment they look at their IC and saw that black dot. If you had given them an opportunity to live their second chance, wouldn't this world be a much beautiful place? And we will have lesser risk of people suiciding everyday.... And lesser low-lives here and there.

I was pretty touched to know NSHBKT are actually playing a part in giving people their lives and hopes. And it touched me even more to watch all of them working really hard in the restaurant! And to my surprise, they are actually honestly a bunch of friendly and fun loving people!

Every human makes mistakes. But what's important is how are you gonna learn from it, and not repeat the same mistakes.

I support Xin Shun Fa Bak Kut Teh's mission to offer career opportunities to ex-offenders looking for a new start! What about you??

You May Also Like

0 comments

Any questions, you can always mail to: veeviisme@live.com :D